Friday, February 13, 2004

So, I hope all of you enjoyed reading about my bathroom adventure on Treasure Island. This week's winning entry is from ZANDRA, who wrote "using the bathroom is definitely a good idea -- they don't have public bathrooms anywhere in San Francisco, forcing one to do such things as beg some guy in the Walgreens in Chinatown to use their dirty employee bathroom behind the locked door to the warehouse." Thanks for sharing Zandra. Also, YOU DO NOT HAVE STOP COMMENTING on an entry once a winner has been identified, I would love to hear feedback on past entries. Perhaps there could be a few winners from each week--it really depends on how I feel since I am in charge! Haha.

As for last week's "What would Jolina Do?" entry...
You bet I peed! Regardless of looking like a “crazy American.” Later we found Ben and Andy, they asked where we had went because they had found bathrooms on the other side of the parking lot.
Ah well…at least I got a good story from that ordeal.
On a side note, I received an email from Katelin yesterday. Ironically, she has just moved to San Francisco with Ben and her apartment has a wonderful view of Treasure Island.

For more information on visiting San Francisco and for a listing of bathrooms, visit www.sanfrancisco.com.

So, on to this week's entry...

As you know Saturday is Valentine’s Day. I have never really been a big fan of Valentine’s day since I find the “holiday” to be rather over commercialized and, frankly, a bit annoying. I would rather just let Josh, my boyfriend, know that I love him everyday we are together, rather than save it up for February 14th and rely on little chalky candy hearts with “BE MINE” printed on them to say the words for me. So, I have decided to use this space to write about another important event that takes place this month. The American Heart Association declared February “American Heart Month.” This year the Association is encouraging Americans to “Go Red for Women” since each year cardiovascular diseases take the lives of nearly half a million women in America.
According to the American Heart Association, the "Go Red For Women" campaign helps you discover unique lifesaving power by learning about heart disease and stroke and taking positive action to reduce your risk of both. Red is the American Heart Association’s color for women and heart disease and they encourage you to make it your color, too. Education on this health issue is very important to me since my grandmother, Rosie Chan, died from a heart attack in November of 2002. It is ironic that a women with such a giving and caring heart ended her life when her heart gave out on her. The lose was devastating for my family and I; however, our fond memories of her do live on. There are so many stories I could tell about my grandma. She was a great woman who taught me a lot, listened to my problems and always made me feel loved. On of my favorite memories is of watching her make a cherry pie--one of my favorite desserts. I can still see the fresh graham cracker pie crust in a shiny metal tin overflowing with bright red cherries topped with fluffy whipped cream.
My grandma was also very good at knitting. When I was in kindergarten she would make me knit caps to wear during the winter. I remember one knit cap in particular that I was not very fond of. It was bright red, but instead of just being solid red there was a 2 inch band of white around the entire edge of the cap. My head looked like a gigantic red cherry nestled in a cloud of whipped cream, similar to that of my grandma’s cherry pie. However, I didn’t want to hurt her feelings by not wearing it. So, I wore it to school and during recess I brought it to the playground with me and “accidentally” buried the bright red cap under a few feet of saw dust. It looked like red cherry and whipped cream filling in a saw dust crust next to the back of the metal slide.
When I got home my mom and my grandma asked me what had happened to my cap. I said that I might have lost it at the playground then gave them a sad pout. The school day came and I thought I would be cherry head free, but instead my mom took another red knit cap from the closet. I hope the ground is hungry, I thought, because I will be needing to make another cherry pie.
Now as I think back on those red knit caps I would want nothing more than to be able to "go red for women" and wear one of them on my head, to feel the warmth of my grandma and to once again tell her that I love her. So, this entry I do not have a “What would you do?” Instead, I will ask…if you have time this Valentine’s weekend who will you say “I love you” to? Is it someone that you see everyday, but take for granted or perhaps a love one that is no longer with you?
Visit “What would Jolina do?” next week to read Jolina’s next entry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home